!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Visit DIY Tool Supply for all your Tool Needs

17 April 2007

How to Build a Closet - Header and Footer

After you have marked out the closet on the ceiling and transferred the measurements to the floor using a plumb bob, it is time to start the framing.




You will want to lay out the framing on your ceiling and floor first. Screw the 2x4 frames into the ceiling and flooring joists and into each other. Above I have illustrated how to frame the top of the closet, this is called the header. The bottom of the closet will be framed in the same way except for the opening left for the door. This is called the footer. Below is a picture of my header installed. Since I am using an existing alcove to build my closet my framing is a little easier. My project is more of a how to build a coat closet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After having my autistic son jump through the bottoms of multiple dressers, we've decided to build side-by-side 4' closets in the boys' room, and use pre-hung 36" doors instead of bi-folds (that way the doors can be locked up high with a slide lock to keep the interior from being damaged).

Do you have a list of the materials you used for your closet project (how much lumber, drywall, etc. it took to complete)?